Sunday, January 18, 2009

Recipe of the Month- Homemade Chips and Guacamole


Well I have been slacking on my Recipe of the weeks so I will just call this Recipe of the month

Homemade Chips and Guacomole
Super addicting and probably had something to do with me not keeping my weight off...... Margaritas didn't help either but one issue at a time.

Homemade Chips

You can either use corn tortillas or make your own. I make mine but its not as complicated as it sounds . You just need a tortilla press and a cast iron skillet or tortilla pan or a griddle works good too . Just look for a tortilla flour mix I like MASECA . You just add water, press, and cook. Follow the directions on the bag. So once you have your tortillas you just cut them in triangles and fry them in vegetable oil when they start to bubble and brown they are done. Take them out and put them on a plate with papertowels sprinkle with salt. These are soooo goood and so much better than store bought chips. They are usually eaten faster than I can make them.

Here's are favorite Guacamole
I don't usually measure I just throw stuff in so my measurements are guesstimates.

2 avocados ripe
salsa verde (about 1/2 cup) (green salsa)
pinch of salt
2 tbsp chopped white onion
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced garlic
squeeze of lime

Now here's my secret this Guacamole is always a hit. I blend it together. I use my magic bullet but a blender works too. Now if you don't have a lot of ingredients you can just use the salsa verde avocados and salt and blend it up and its still good.... save the pits and put them in the guacamole this will help keep it from turning brown.
Drew loves his guacamole.......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip about the pit....I had no idea....will definitely try that! Since I am on the carb diet...I love to buy the 3net carb tortillas and fry them up....that way I can have my chips and eat them too....!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Carol said...

Bob & Jillian are having coronarys about now.....haha, looks good. You better call me next time!!

Smith's said...

ha should of called me back yesterday! I made your shredded pork in the crock pot too = I had to call Patti to make sure I remembered it right. Yum

Erin said...

Do you want me to email this to Chris?? Do you?? Looks so gooooooood but I'm not going to make it =)

Smith's said...

ha ha we had company over so we made mexican food sooooo I had a excuse...