Saturday, May 2, 2009

Training update and Milestone!

Well I am at the end of my 5th week of training for my 5K . I am kinda surprised that I have completed each week even the week I was sick and had a sinus infection. I reached a major milestone today! My last session this week was to run 20 minutes with no walking - I was pretty sure I could not do it because up until now it has not had me run for longer that 5 minutes which I am usually huffing and puffing at the 4 minute mark so 5 to 20 minutes is a little bit of a stretch for me. I even possibly thought that maybe the writer of this plan made a mistake and put this in the wrong week- or maybe not.
So I started my run with the wrong attitude- instead of I think I can it was I don't think I can I pretty much had decided it was not possible before even trying. So I started my run and at about 3 minutes my side ache started which is nothing new which just helped me justify why 20 minutes was impossible so I had planned on going to what I have been doing all week run 5 minutes walk 3 repeat repeat. Well I hit 5 minutes and thought well why not just try and see how far I can make it maybe 8 minutes . Well 8 minutes became 10 then 10 became 12 then I was at 15 so might as well keep going I am so close! Well I did it- I can't believe it but I did so I am pretty proud of myself right now. Just a good lesson for me that we are all usually more capable of what we think we are . Five weeks ago I honestly did not think I could ever become a runner and although I don't deserve that title yet hopefully I will in the near future! I would encourage anyone that has always thought they could never be a runner to try!

Here's the plan that I have been following- From Couch to 5K which is a very fitting title for me since I was pretty out of shape before I started the plan.


http://coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOO proud of you, you keep going and know that I am "running" with you....You GO girl....:)

Amanda said...

WAY TO GO!!! That is awesome. Glad you pushed yourself and reached your goal!

Erin said...

Good for YOU!! I'm SO proud of you!!! I knew you could do it =)

Jenna said...

Man Kari, that's awesome! I wish you were my neighboor so you could motivate me :)

Unknown said...

Great Job Kari
I always knew you could..I remember you telling me (I could never run) it gets more addicting as you go..Stick with it
You will surprise yourself!
Mom